Wednesday, July 15, 2009

It takes the cake!


One of my favorite things to do
(when I'm not stressed)
is to create cakes.
The first cake I ever decorated
was a two tiered birthday cake for my Mom

I bought a "how to" book
read a little
purchased a small decorating kit
and went to work.

The SECOND cake I ever decorated
was a 3 - tierd wedding cake
for my sister-in-law

I know... I always start big!

So....
I had a friend who wanted to be around
when I created one of these...
and since that couldn't happen...
I took pictures.
(hope this satifies your curiosity Carol S.)

Kind of a STEP-BY-STEP

After the initial layers are "crumb-iced"
They are ready for fondant.

Top layer is crumb iced... ready for fondant
Middle layer is covered then supports inserted
through entire layer

Bottom layer is fondant covered and has the supports inserted.
Supports can be wood dowels, heavy duty straws,
thin pvc pipe, or...
I like to use hard plastic dowels.
They need to be cut precisely even
so the cake will not tip or cave in.
(fingers have had to be stitched doing this process)

The fondant needs to be rolled thin
much larger than the layer itself
to allow for easy molding
seamlessly and maticulously.

Trimming the excess fondant
works well using a small, sharp knife,
or... I like to use a pizza cutter

And there you have a nice "trimmed" layer

Once each layer is covered
and all supportive dowels are inserted
THE FUN BEGINS!!!
The real creativity takes place.

This particular bride
requested pearls and polka dots

Now polka dots are tricky
It's hard to just pipe out a perfect polka dot


SO...
after years and years of experimentation
I found that if I just pipe out little "spots"
let them sit for a moment
then go back carefully and touch their tips
It makes the "spots" into nice little "dots"

Or... instead of years and years of
blood, sweat and tears and experimentation
Just ask a professional wedding cake decorator.
It's much easier to learn the "tricks" from a master
rather than to trial and error yourself
LIKE ME.

I AM THE MASTER OF TRIAL AND ERROR!

After each layer is decorated
Assemble the layers
This bride wanted a "stacked" cake
rather than separated with pillars and such.

Add a few fresh flowers...and
VOILA


Wedding cakes are favulous fun....
But do not underestimate

THE BIRTHDAY CAKE

This birthday girl's favorite colors
LIME GREEN / HOT PINK / BLACK
(sounds like a funky 13 year old to me)

Rolled fondant dots are good
and a cut out "13"

How about a thirteen on all four sides
and more dots!

Just add a little more bright color to that fondant
and ROLL it out (that's the tough part)
A scroll to write
"Happy Birthday on... and.... a name?
Maybe some hot pink rolled fondant flowers...
Hey....
Some fresh flowers... TOO
SAME materials... DIFFERENT look.

OH WHAT A LITTLE COLOR CAN DO!

and once again
VOILA!!!

But the real reason for this blog about cakes
through 30 years of decorating
I've learned
the most important part of the cake construction
is the FOUNDATION.
If the cake does not have a good foundation,
(strong, sturdy, even supports)
it will not hold up.
All the time and effort and precision that you put into the
FOUNDATION... will pay off.
All the beautiful decorating in the world,
will be to no avail, if the foundation is not sound.

And... always consult the "master".
It saves you hours of frustration, sometimes heartache,
much stress; and the little tricks of the trade
will ultimately help you reach your goal
much easier and faster.

He knows the correct course to a fabulous outcome.

AND
DON'T START BIG
Start with simple baby steps.

3 comments:

  1. OH....MY....GOSH!!!!!! I need to get married so I can have you make a cake for me...oh wait...naaawwww...I'll just enjoy the pictures. So glad you posted Brycie's cake too. It has got to be the funkiest, cutest birthday cake EVER! You're a genius...and now I'm trying to figure out what you CAN'T do CarolJ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I'm liking the "continuation" project...and I like those "cake trios" you make for your family dinners. I'm not in bed yet...but I AM going to go soon. I'm FREEZING...it must be the "molitigl" coming through the vents!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the things I wish I would have inherited from you...these fabulous cakes. I have LOTS of great memories watching these made. Love you.

    ReplyDelete